Boat Rentals on Kentucky Lake
Discover the joy of sailing by taking a certification course at our Kentucky Lake marina. Lighthouse Landing has been helping people fulfill their dreams of learning to sail since 1977. Our award-winning program caters to the novice sailor and to the experienced captain. Offered by The American Sailing Association – this 4-day course is designed to enhance your sailing credentials allowing you to sail worldwide with major charter companies. Look at our class schedule below and decide how we may fulfill your sailing dreams.
Lighthouse Landing has received several awards for multiple years from the American Sailing Association including “Outstanding School” “School of the Year” and “Outstanding Instructor”
- Sailboat Familiarization
- Sailing Terminology
- Steering, Tacking & Gybing
- Stopping the Boat
- Safety at Sea
- Securing & Making FastSailor’s Knots
- Rules of the Road
- Person Overboard Recovery
- Anchoring and Mooring
- How to Identify a Perfect Anchorage
- Heavy Weather Sailing
- New Ways to Recover Crew Overboard
- How to Handle Emergency Situations Afloat
- Use of a VHF Marine Radio
- Proper Use of Navigation Aids
- Sail Combination Under Various Wind Conditions
- How to Pick Up a Mooring on The First Try
- Identify, Avoid and Treat Hypothermia
- More Handy Sailor’s Knots
After a fun filled four days of instruction on the Colgate 26 you will receive:
- ASA Certification for Basic Keelboat
- ASA Certification for Basic Coastal Cruising
- The ASA Official Log Book
- The ASA text “Sailing Made Easy” and “Costal Cruising Made Easy”
- Eligibility to rent similar sailboats at Lighthouse Landing and many charter locations around the world
Reserve a Lakeside Cottage or Guest Room for a complete Lighthouse Landing experience.
Be sure to check our F.A.Q. page for answers to your questions about the Lighthouse Landing Sailing School.
Read more on the Sailing Schools:
Sailing and Physical Fitness:
While sailing is an enjoyable experience, some may not realize how physically demanding sailing a boat can be at times. While mobility and range of motion are most important, flexibility, agility, coordination and balance are also key. Moderate physical activity such as getting on and off the boat, easily moving from one side of the boat to the other and from front to back and reaching and stepping over gear and lines will be experienced during the class. The more physically fit you are, the more you might enjoy the class. If you are unsure about your physical capabilities, please call us to discuss, as we would not like to discourage students from participating but rather make them aware of the level of fitness involved.
Sailing School reservation requires a 50% deposit and must be paid in full, 30 days prior to the reserved class. Class materials will be mailed when paid in full. Deposit is non-refundable if cancellation is less than 30 days prior to arrival unless the class can be reassigned. If your class is reassigned, your payment will be refunded less a $65 materials charge, and a 10% cancellation fee.